Cocktail arcade cabinets have been around for decades, but they are usually for 1 or 2 players. I believe there are enough games to enable a 4-player tabletop version.
This gadget is made possible by an IPS display, a superior display that can be seen clearly from all angles. I also want to include rotary joysticks, which can be toggled like a joystick for regular games (Pac-Man), or rotated for spinner games (Pong). The rotary joystick can be a button as well.
The 4-player games I would include for this device:
- Bomberman Series
- Gauntlet 1 and 2
- S.M.A.S.H. TV and COMMANDO. Two players would control one character; one moves and the other aims and shoots. Should be fun!
- PONG and its many variants
- Control the enemies: Pac-Man, BurgerTime, Dig Dug, Centipede, Bubble Bobble
Games that sadly do not exist:
- A TRON version of Arkanoid would be neat
- An updated TANK (Atari) game for 4 players
- 4-way Pinball
- Super Dodgeball (overhead view)
- 4-way Tetris Attack
- Hungry Hungry Hippos? Sure why not
- A wrestling game! I’d buy this contraption for this alone
- Sports games from directly overhead (Tennis, Hockey, etc.)
- Overhead racing games with the full track visible (like Super Off Road)
- 4-player Frogger (can push each other around for a chaotic experience)
- A ripoff of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, because Nintendo would never share it
Are there any 4-player overhead games that could be added to my list? Sound off below.